Friday 24 October 2014

Who Does This Game Belong To?

I just read Bungie's most recently weekly update notes. For anyone who hasn't read this week's, or hasn't been keeping up, I'd advise getting up to speed, as they're very useful for getting important information.

http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---10242014/en/News/News?aid=12318

This is actually completely fantastic stuff. A particular point, which I'm very, very interested in, is the ability to hit Level 30 with Iron Banner gear. It actually means something! This gear is actually worth buying! Incredible! Useful!

Unfortunately. This still leaves the PvE department rather...lacking. This is the second week, now, where that half of the game has gone pretty much completely unaddressed. And yes, this game is purely 50 50 in terms of PvE and PvP. I do make a lot of fuss about the lack of interest in the PvE elements, and it's not because I enjoy it more. I hit the weekly cap on both sections, every week, without fail. I also enjoy crucible, sometimes, although it also makes me want to break my disc occasionally, as it rewards the unskilled, and punishes the great, with no rewards, and the worst teammates humanly possible to imagine. However, it provides a thrill and challenge. I love them both. Unfortunately, if I had to pick, it'd be the PvE section, due to the frustration the crucible provides. This update, while full of genuinely fantastic content, that I, as a player who shares interest in both halves of the game, am really excited about, again, leaves those who have dedicated themselves to PvE, disappointed. What happened to making things interesting, mixing it up, providing new content, making important changes. One should always fix something that's wrong before moving onto something new. Bungie say they're paying attention, and they have said, at the end of these notes, that our patience may be rewarded. These notes actually give me hope-despite the vagueness, and lack of clarity, that their promises have come with, not to mention certain disappointment-they have given me hope. They have restored my faith. I can actually now, think of playing the game with a smile on my face - this is a step in the right direction, and it may actually be possible for me to believe that they can fix the game. I think they can do it.

I don't think it's fair for more attention to be paid, as it is being done now, to the Crucible players. There can be no question about it, that Bungie is bending over backwards to satisfy them, while to a certain extent, save for promising to fix their mistakes on the Mythoclast in PvE, they have ignored the Vanguard players. An equal amount of care and devotion should be given to both sides, and I don't feel as if it's being done now. However. However. This is progress. This is right. This is good. It can be done. They've asked for faith, and it seems like it might-just might-be rewarded. Slowly but surely.

Bungie, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment